Background

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The McTingle Farm

So... I'm pretty much a farmer now. Here's how that came about...

One day, Brandon and Mike (McCartney) got together and started talking about how cool it would be have a "mini farm." They even told Adrienne and I about their little plans... Well, of course they got serious and started talking about where they would keep them and how much everything would cost. Next thing you know, we've got 2 goats and 4 chickens!!! It's actually been really fun having all of the little critters around the house. The goats are just the sweetest things, and the chickens are completely tame. I'm super excited about the eggs that we'll be able to collect once they start laying. 8) Fresh omelets!
The animals were actually given to us for free! Miranda Gibbs and her really sweet family from Zachary gave us both goats and all 4 chickens! They were extremely sweet and took wonderful care of all of their animals. They had a really nice, small farm and needed to get rid of a few of their animals. (They had acquired quite a few from the Hurricane) They actually tried to give us a couple more chickens, but we told them that 4 would be plenty to start off.

The one next to me is named Ipod and the one next to Brandon is named Sweet Pea. Ipod is my favorite because he's so little and cute, and if you Baa at him, he'll Baa right back at cha! Ipod is a little male. Sweet Pea is a female. Oh! And they're pretty funny because they follow Mike and Brandon around the property like little kids. 8)

These are our cool chickens! Right now, they aren't laying because they're a bit stressed from the move, but once they settle in, we'll have some yummy eggs to eat for breakfast "out on that there farm!"
Brandon and Mike being silly! 8) Adi and I love our men! P.S. Mom, Brandon's wearing the tie you bought him! It looks great and he loves it!

On Saturday, my family came out to visit. My mom, Wendy (my sis), Holly (my sis-in-law), and I went shopping for fabric. The kids came to see the farm and absolutely loved it! Starting from the left, it's Madalyn, Ipod, Kailey, and Dathan aka Boogie. I have no idea why they are looking the other way...nothing was over there... oh well. They are still super cute! Oh, and by the way, goats like to climb on things so they climbed onto a big pile of plywood while the kids were trying to pet them.
And here's one with just Boogie and Ipod! He was a little nervous at first, if you can't tell. 8)

Anyway, we had a great day and can't wait for everyone to come visit again! Oh, and if anyone wants to take their kids on a field trip to the "petting zoo," feel free to call me! 8)

4 comments:

Kathy said...

That is so cool yall have room to have a "little farm" I would totally do that if we could:)

Jamie Hamilton said...

I'm talking to Joe. We're going to make a field trip happen. Those are some nice looking chickens. I said I was a little jealous before, now it has turned into down right covetousness : ).

Jen said...

I never imagined you as a farm woman, but I like it, it works for you. And I'm glad you decided to paint your shutters black, that's my favorite color for shutters.

Holly said...

Kailey had such a good time playing and petting the goats. iPod was my favorite, too :)